Monday, May 27, 2013

My Book Haul

There is nothing more satisfying than having money in your wallet and then leaving a bookstore with a bag full of books.  With no money left in your wallet that is.  And no books in your bag when you start.  Except that I usually have a book in my bag even when I go to the bookstore.  I think you understand...


This Weekend, I picked up these books!
Just to clarify, they are:

  • Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
  • Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith
  • Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry 
  • Messenger by Lois Lowry
  • Son by Lois Lowry
You might have gotten the feeling that I need to finish The Giver series, which is very much true.  

However, not only did I get to enjoy my day by getting new books, I also got to start and read a book I won in a contest held on Epic Reads

Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike


Snippet:

Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto. 

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.



When I received news that I had won this book, my only thought was Yay! Free book! I had never heard of Pike before, although her series Wings does ring a bell, even though I haven't read it.  I was very excited to get this book, but by the time it did come in the mail my book shelf was full and I was busy reading several other things.

Then last night, I was not getting into the book I had just picked up, so I chose it off my shelf on a whim.  Little did I know I would be reading it practically all the next day!!!

First off, Jeff was a wonderful protagonist.  He was honest and funny and very much a boy.  I think boy points of views are very nice touch in all genres, but especially one like this where among other things, there is a theme of romance.

Kimberly, well, Kimberly was a frustrating character.  I didn't like her, but she was quite vital to the story.

The plot was funny and the story well written but I felt that the whole idea wasn't very original and I was only fairly pleased with the book.




~Remedyleaf



No comments:

Post a Comment