Hey! So since the year is winding down, I'm doing to participate in The Perpetual Page Turner's "2013 End of Year Book Survey! Here goes nothing!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Historical Fiction: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Classic: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Realistic Fiction: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Sci-Fy: Scarlet by Marisa Meyer
Apocalyptic: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Dystopian: Divergent by Veronica Roth is tied with Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Paranormal: The Coldest Girl In Coldtown by Holly Black
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith. This book had such a cute cover and amazing ratings. I was so disappointed when it turned out to be a cliché.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. (Review here)
No need to take a trip down memory land about how much Stephanie Meyer ruined vampires for me; I'm sure you all understand. Anyway, when I received this ARC for a blog tour over the summer I was a little weary because I was unfamiliar with the author, and also unfamiliar with any other version of vampire besides the sparkling kind. Let me tell you, this book blew me away and was one of my favorites from over the summer.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Cinder and Scarlet by Marisa Meyer! I loved these books so much! Scarlet, in my opinon, is one of the most impressive sequels ever!
Review for Scarlet here.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
I actually have started a lot of series in 2013! I started and loved the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. ( Mini Review for Insurgent here and review for Allegiant here)
I started a whole bunch, but the most promising are
The Tiger Saga by Colleen Houck.
and The 5th Wave Series (Review for Book One here)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
This is depressing, I know, but I was late hopping on the John Green bandwagon! But I'm so glad that I did!
I also read work by Veronica Roth, Lauren Oliver, and Maggie Steifvater.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I'm not usually such a fun of spooky or horror books. Somehow this book managed to weasel it's way into my heart! I'm so excited for the sequel in the new year!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan! It's not often that you come across a book where you care so deeply about a character, but Emma is just so hard not to like! Her situation is daunting, and I had to keep reading to make sure that she was safe. This book was thrilling not because of how outrageously scary it was, but by how fathomable the situation actually was.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I just got a signed copy, and with the movie coming out this summer I'm bound to read it again!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Blue Sargent from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Allegiant by Veronica Roth are neck in neck for this spot; given that they both brought me to tears that lasted several days. I do believe that the winner is
The Book Thief, probably because in reality, something very similar to those events actually happened in real life, while Allegiant is just a futuristic vision of what may be the future.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Maze Runner by James Dashner! I need to read the rest of the series still, and there is a movie in the works!?! Still, I should have read this sooner.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Animal Farm by George Orwell
Longest: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
I think that the end of Allegiant by Veronica Roth left me wanting to spoil the entire book for all of my friends just so that I could cry on their shoulder. Luckily, I didn't!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I don't think that it gets any better than Cath and Levi from Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Pentrals by Crystal Mack.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Gansey from The Raven Cycle books by Maggie Steifvater. He is just incredibly charming.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
The Pentrals by Crystal Mack
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Definitely anything that Marisa Meyer wrote in The Lunar Chronicles.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Geektastic: Stories From the Nerd Herd
Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Oh my gosh so many!!!!
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Reason To Breathe by Rebecca Donovan
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
Looking for Alaska by John Green
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Defiantly The Probability In Miracles! There needs to be some more hype about this book!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Well, I didn't exactly discover this, but my friend Emma over at Spun With Words started her blog up this year!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The "Beat the Heat Readathon" hosted by Auntie Spinelli Reads
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Meeting Marisa Meyer and getting my books signed. We had an awesome discussion about her writing and she even told the group I was with a fairy tale!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
These two sites have amazing book clothing!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads goal of 100 books for 2013! Yay me!!!!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Can I smush the entire Percy Jackson Series and Heroes of Olympus Series in Here? I'm so behind but I want to read them so bad!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
A three way tie between
Cress by Marisa Meyer
Panic by Lauren Oliver
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I honestly don't know! I guess we'll find out!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any! I'm coming up with a lot of series' getting second or third books, but not last installments. Hmmmmm...
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
My reading goal for 2014 is 120 books! I'm amping up the stakes!
Blogging wise; I just want to keep writing thorough reviews and increasing my readership!
I hope that you had a wonderful 2013, and may I wish you a happy new year.