Wednesday, August 22, 2012

All You Get is Me

Well, all you do get is me, but that's not what I meant up there. What I meant was, that's the title of the book I just finished. (Yes, I'm still reading The Hunger Games trilogy, but come on, I can have breaks from that, right?)

All you Get is Me by Yvonne Prinz is about Roar, 15 year old newly hatched farm girl who is struggling with living on the farm, her friend Storm's craziness, her secret relationship with Forest, which her father would not approve of, acceptance about her mother's problems, and the lawsuit her dad is stirring up for the death of an illegal Mexican worker. Let's just say her life is not easy.

When I first read the blurb, I will admit that I was none too drawn in. But I was in a hurry at the library and I wanted to at least get something. But as I get into reading it, I was surprised to see how much I liked it. So I kept reading, yada yada, until I knew the end was coming soon, and I didn't really want it to end. But when I did get to the end, I was not quite satisfied with how the author pulled it all together. Uh-uh. *Shakes Head* I think there were numerous other amazing endings that she could have gone with, and they would have been much nicer for the story.

On Roar's relationship with Forest. Okay, I will give Prinz that it did develop, and it was not just all-the-sudden. But I have something about the whole teenagers-I-love-you thing, so even when I see it in a book, it drives me crazy. I know, I know, "when it's with that special person..." yada yada. I don't think it's appropriate for any teenager, fictitious or real, to say "I love you" to each other "that way" (Whatever that means) Even if they aren't throwing it around, you still shouldn't be saying it like that. (Family and best friends don't really count. There is differences in "I love you"

I think overall was surprised, but then let down with this book and author. I will rate it 3 stars, and say, give it a chance if you want. But I wouldn't stress it.  Maybe you'll have a better time than me!

Adios amigos,

~Remedyleaf

No comments:

Post a Comment