Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dark Destiny and the whole Dark Mirror Sequence

Hello my blog followers, today I'm going to review the sequel to Dark Passage by M. J. Putney; Dark Destiny. Also I'm going to review the series as a whole afterwards.

Alright, Dark Destiny is the sequel to Dark Passage, and starts right where Dark Passage left off. The Irregulars have returned from France, and are on their way back to their Lackland. Their new friend Rebecca is staying with the 20th Century Rainfords, as in Polly, and Nick, and their mother. But time travel is not over for the Irregulars, or their 20 Century friends, and as a looming threat approaches, Rebecca promises to do all she can as repayment for the Irregulars past deeds.

What a lovely conclusion to a glorious series, that will be on my favorites list for a while. The writing was perfect for the end of the book, although a little confusing with too many she's and not enough first names to follow in certain occasions. But I managed.

The relationship development in the final book is interesting, Tory and Allarde make an inheritance altering commitment, Jack and Cynthia admit that they will push past the aristocratic differences between them, and then our new romance, Nick and Rebecca, is even more complicated. Although they do know they have feelings for each other, there is a barrier different than titles, one of faith and everything they believe. But don't worry, everything is happy in the end.

But don't take that as too perfect. Although they did seem happy, it wasn't like Ms. Puteny was implying that their lives would be happily ever after, I'm not quite sure she's done with our dear friends. ;)

4 and 1/2 stars for the final installment, (I think) of the Dark Mirror series.

Now to talk as the series as a whole. There may be spoilers, I'm not sure. Beware! Hisssss.... ;)

In the beginning, I was drawn into the story because of Tory's strong willingness to push past her sudden mageling-ness, and still be the Lady Victoria she new she was, or though she was...

Elsbeth and Jack were fabulous characters to work with through out the story. Even though they weren't front and center, they were still important, and you came to love them as well.

The time traveling WWII alter ego to the story shook me a bit, for I thought it would be a bit much, but by the end of the series, I disagree with my former feelings. The time traveling isn't more to the story, it is the story.

Cynthia is another thing of witch I want to speak of. Comparing her personality in the beginning of the series, to the end, is astonishing! She is a totally different person. This is something that you often don't, but should see in YA writing. Young people don't know exactly who they want to be, they may have an idea, but they are often in confusion and flip flopping all over the place. I thought that with Cynthia, this showed that towards the end, she knew who she wanted to be, and she was that well.

Throughout my individual book reviews, I have praised Putney for her wonderful skill of relationship development. Here, I will praise it again. Overall, the relationship between the Irregulars strengthens as they travel through time and almost get themselves killed numerous times. Next, the intimate relationship of Tory and Allarde progresses, falls back, and returns stronger than even in a realistic way.  Tory and Cynthia's relationship changes too. They are not just teenage girls forced to share the same room, they are friends. And really good friends at that. The relationship of Jack and Cynthia, persay? Their relationship blossoms, but has it's drawbacks too. In the end, they know where their feelings stand. (Together) The relationship of Nick to the Irregulars is interesting, for he becomes one of their strongest friends, just as they return the favor to him. I guess life or death situations bring people together? I'm kidding, I bet they do. Finally, for the last relationship to mention is the new development of feelings between Rebecca and Nick. Okay, maybe not new feelings for them, but new for the story. That relationship progresses differently, for they are apart for different reasons. Eventually though, (see, development!) their true feelings are let out, and they can finally admit they have a connection beyond words.

Well that's enough talk of relationships for one review, eh?

The historicalness works extremely well with the story, because back then, they really did believe in magic, mages, spells, and such. (Not that I don't now....) But it fits better than being an annoying fantasy gone Modern day. I'm glad that the setting was just the way it was.

 I rate this series 4 and 1/2 stars and highly recommend it to lovers of Historical Fiction, Romance, Or just a Good Story! I cannot wait to read more from Putney, and I'm excited to have found her as an author!

~Remedy

No comments:

Post a Comment