Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Maze Runner and 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge Part 5

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge

Recommend a Tear Jerker.

A tear jerker, eh?  I'd have to say The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is one of my favorite tear jerkers of all time.






Review for The Maze Runner by
James Dashner


Blurb:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.



Explanation:

Just like Reason to Breathe, this was another book that I had checked out from school at the end of the year, but lacked the time to read it at that time.  So I got an extension and was able to read it at this time.

The Maze Runner has been on my internal list of books to read for a long time, only now have I finally gotten to read it!

Writing:

I found Dashner's plot and development completely fantastic.  I also firmly enjoyed the rare male POV in this dystopian novel.  

Dashner also created an amazing world that the Glader's lived in; the thought and time that went into that creation was apparent.

The final kudos that I'll give to Dashner was the fact that he kept the secrets of the Glade hidden so well, and yet the clues became obvious in the end.

Characters:

Thomas:
 I found Thomas a brave and pleasing protagonist.  He struggled with the story but had a determination that made his charisma delightful to read.  In a book about not knowing who you are, the characters struggled with identity.  I think that Thomas wanting to be a Runner is definitely an identity for him.

Chuck:
Chuck was sort of the little side-kick of the story.  He pointed out obvious things, and was scared at times when others were brave, but in the end I found him to be the most noble of them all.  Thomas saw Chuck as a symbol of innocence and hope and that was a huge part of Thomas's character.

Theresa:
For much of the book, Theresa is a mystery.  It is not until towards the very end that we get to see much of her character, and the first thing I've got to say is that that girl's got spunk!  She was brave and clever and I can't wait to read more from her in following books.

Newt and Minho: 
I found Newt and Minho both Gladers that Thomas looked up to.  They were important characters within the plot and a duo that Thomas could always depend on never doubting him.

Final Findings:
My final findings were that the book was written with a great plot and exciting characters who obviously have a story to finish in the following books!  I'm excited to read them!

✎✎✎✎✎

~Remedyleaf













No comments:

Post a Comment